Around Thanksgiving I got it in my head that I wanted to run a half marathon. I had been running to loose my baby weight and was starting to really enjoy it. I always enjoy a challenge so I though...hey, why not. Now for all of you that know me...this was not easy because I AM NOT A RUNNER. In fact I always told my sister Natalie that she was crazy when she ran cross-country in high school. I would sometimes follow her on runs on my bike and nearly die...so the thought of having to run it...well, IMPOSSIBLE!!! But I am happy to announce that I DID IT...I RAN (I NEVER STOPPED) A HALF-MARATHON!!! It was a challenge but I loved every minute of it!!! So here is a list of the top ten things I loved and learned about running a half marathon.
10. I loved the rush of running and passing and weaving around other runners.
9. I learned that there are two kinds of drinks being passed out: water and HEED (YUCK)!
8. I loved that they passed out gummy bears at mile 8 (kind of weird?).
7. I learned about the "runners runs"...self explainitory.
6. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED running along the Spokane River in the city in which I was raised and love so much.
5. I learned that it was not my new running shoes that made my toes hurt insanely bad (I have horrible feet and possibly bursa).
4. I loved running with my dear friend Cassandra and have developed a running friend for life!
3. I learned that slow and steady really does win the race AND that the winner of the full-marathon doesn't run...he freakin' sprints!!! Who was I to really think I would run next to him for a minute. Try a nano-second!!!
2. I LOVED SEEING MY AMAZING FAMILY AT THE END OF THE FINISH LINE...IT WAS HEAVEN SENT!!! ALL I COULD THINK OF THE LAST 3 MILES WAS...FINISH THE RACE SO YOU CAN SEE YOUR KIDS AND HUSBAND!!! THE REAL REWARD OF THE RACE, THEN GETTING TO RUN THE LAST 100 YARDS TO THE FINISH LINE WITH JENNA!!! THIS MIGHT SOUND WEIRD BUT IT WAS KIND OF SPIRITUAL.
1. I learned that I am a runner and ANYONE can be a runner!!! I learned so much about myself and my determination. This was a big goal of mine and was so happy and emotional that I DID IT!!!